String representation of an identifier's name

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Jan 12 16:47:54 EST 2003

Boethius wrote:

> I think it easier to explain with an example, so here it goes:
> Assuming there's a function fn that does what I want, it would work like this:
>
> g = 23
> foo = {'a':56}
>
> fn(g) => 'g'
> fn(foo) => 'foo'
>
> How can I write fn? O:-)

It might help to explain your reasons for needing this.  I don't think
the approach that is probably required would make you happy, unless the
value of doing this is extremely high.

Usually this sort of thing is needed only in debugging/logging, where
you want to print out the name of an item, along with its value.  If
that's the case, a solution where you pass the name of the item in
to the subroutine *as a string already*, and have the subroutine
retrieve the value from the calling frame, might be more appropriate.

-Peter