PIL in zip

Wiktor Sadowski art at wiktorsadowski.com
Sun Jan 12 19:42:42 EST 2003

I am working on a Python C-extension which will enable importing modules
from zip files.It's totally different from what you will get with Python 2.3,
no zipfiles on sys.path , no strange paths like "path/to/zip/file.zip/dir/amodule".
Easy acces to data in zip files:
data = open("c:\Python22\Lib\Images\image.gif").read()
will work if a zip file with "Images\image.gif" was "mounted-registered" as Lib directory.
More details and windows binary-dll for Python 2.2, really soon.

One question before I release a beta version:
With the extension all directories/subdirectories in zip files are enabled by default-
as packages-subpackages or simply as containers of modules
(means:all modules within directory are importable).
But: should I support directories that are at the same time packages
and non-packages , like PIL  where both:
"from PIL import Image" and "import Image" will import Image module ?

Wiktor Sadowski