killing thread ?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jan 24 21:14:35 EST 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:
> On the Mac, you'd use SIGUSR2.  I don't see what's so hard to
> understand about this.  Threads are an OS-specific feature to begin
> with.  You have to expect the internal interface to them to also
> not necessarily be the same for every OS.

Not in Python; Python gives a uniform view to threading on all platforms
where threading is supported in the first place. Portability would go to
hell if every tiny feature could or could not be available on a certain
system.

However, this is not the issue: it probably would be acceptable if the
feature was not available on a certain system. It would be unacceptable
if the feature was available but would cause interpreter crashes.

So the really hard issue is not understanding it, but implementing it.
Feel free to contribute a patch.

Regards,
Martin