Displaying and Inputting Japanese

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jan 6 05:13:02 EST 2003

arigreen at stanford.edu (Ari Greenberg) writes:

> Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, when I tried adding that line
> to my config-win.txt file, the IDLE fonts were different but they
> still didn't display Japanese. I think my problem has to do with using
> the Japanese codecs. I include an import japanese line at the top of
> my script, but it doesn't seem to help. Is there something else that
> must be done?

This is a confusing (confused?) question: Why should an import
statement in your application have any effect on IDLE? IDLE does not
read your code (except for syntax structure), so putting import
statements in it will have no effect.

Is the problem that you cannot enter Japanese characters into IDLE, or
is the problem that you cannot do so in your application?

Regards,
Martin