Commercial IDEs: is it worth it?

Daniel Klein danielk at
Thu Jan 23 20:45:49 CET 2003

On 22 Jan 2003 12:55:53 +0100, Rune Braathen
<runeb@[remove]> wrote:

>"Thomas Weholt" <2002 at> writes:
>[ ... ]
>> Opinions on what, where and why to pay for a Python-friendly IDE would be
>> appreciated.
>While trying not to sound like a preaching fanboy; I heartily
>recommend looking into Slickedit. It has excellent support for Python,
>as well as most other languages.

There is one big problem with Visual Slickedit (at least with version
6a, I have not upgraded to version 7), it does not see 'class'
statements as 'function headings'. When you collapse a module using
'View > Function headings', if that module contains more than 1 class
(as many modules do), then there is no way to tell which class that
__init__ method belongs to.

I have reported this to MicroEdge and all they said was 'it would be
taken into consideration for a future release'. Does anyone know if
this is fixed in the current version?

Daniel Klein