Interesting problem comparing strings with integer values...

Chris Spencer clspence at one.net
Wed Jan 15 19:19:06 EST 2003

	The comparison will not be done inside of a Python interpreter, but in
an SQL statement. ie...
select blah from table where value>"999" and value<"3432";

We're storing arbitrary data in text blobs, so we can't make "value" above an
integer type.

As I mentioned in my first post, while the above SQL statement would be
incorrect, the below SQL code WOULD.

select blah from table where value>"00000999" and value<"00003432";

This just seems incredibly hack-y to me.  It means that we'd have a hardcoded
limit for padding values with zeroes.  It gets even more fun when I talk
floating point values...But one step at a time.

Note that this works as well:
select blah from table where value>"1111100111" and value<"110101101000";

However, I've not been able to find an equivalent to hex() or oct() that would
turn integers into binary string representation.  If there IS such a beastie,
please let me know.

Chris.