Reading a text file into a dictionary

Andy Elvey andy.elvey at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 7 14:06:27 EST 2003

Hi all -

( I'm running Python 2.3a1 under win98 )
 I have a comma-delimited file which I'm trying to read into a Python
 dictionary (actually, a dictionary implemented using lists). The dictionary
 code is exactly as shown in the "What's new" part of the Python 2.3a1
 release notes.
 The file is as follows -
Country,City,var1,var2,var3
Australia,Sydney,214,105,478
Australia,Melbourne,345,26,200
Australia,Perth,109,217,809

The first row (the column headings) will be the keys, and the rest of the
data is the values to be associated with the keys.
My code is as follows -

### Start of code ###
import  UserDict
class SeqDict(UserDict.DictMixin):
    """Dictionary lookalike implemented with lists."""
    def __init__(self):
        self.keylist = []
        self.valuelist = []
    def __getitem__(self, key):
        try:
            i = self.keylist.index(key)
        except ValueError:
            raise KeyError
        return self.valuelist[i]
    def __setitem__(self, key, value):
        try:
            i = self.keylist.index(key)
            self.valuelist[i] = value
        except ValueError:
            self.keylist.append(key)
            self.valuelist.append(value)
    def __delitem__(self, key):
        try:
            i = self.keylist.index(key)
        except ValueError:
            raise KeyError
        self.keylist.pop(i)
        self.valuelist.pop(i)
    def keys(self):
        return list(self.keylist)

# Now, read a comma-delimited file into the dictionary
def readfile():
    mydict = SeqDict()
# NOTE - enter the path and filename WITHOUT quotes around it.
    filename = raw_input('Enter name of file to open: ')
    file = open(filename, 'r')
    linenum=0
    for line in file.readlines():
            linenum+=1
            mywords = string.split(line, sep=',')

            for word in mywords:
                if linenum == 1:
# First row of data: the dictionary keys
                    mydict.keylist.append(word)
                    mydict.valuelist.append([])
                else:
# The rest of the data
                    mydict.valuelist.append(word)
    for key, value in mydict:
        print key, value

if __name__ == '__main__':
    readfile()
### End of code ###

When I run this, it crashes at the line "for key, value in mydict"
with the message "ValueError - too many values to unpack".
 Hmmmm .....
So, any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance...  :-)