Distributing Python apps

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Jan 5 04:38:36 EST 2003

David LeBlanc wrote:

> In terms of a download, I'm betting that 2+mb for a runtime only including
> application bytes (binaries and doc) is more likely.

if you're using a lightweight GUI toolkit (or no GUI), you'll need around
1mb for the installer, and 2-3mb on the disk.  see e.g:

    http://www.effbot.org/zone/effbot-exe-index.htm

with a toolkit like tkinter or wxpython, add another megabyte or two
for the installer.

to put python plus tkinter plus a very small application on a 1.44mb
disk, you need to go back to Python 1.5 or earlier.  see e.g.

    http://www.pythonware.com/products/python/old.htm

(this is for windows.  linux RPMs tend to be a bit bigger, but ymmv
as usual)

> I suggest a more practical and realistic goal is to plan on a CD
> distribution. It's probably actually cheaper to distribute on CD then on
> floppy these days anyway.

definitely (even if there is a floppy drive in your machine, are you
sure it's working?  when did you last use it?)

or he could use HTTP, like everyone else...

</F>