Books: Core Python Programming vs. Python Cookbook

Sean Ross sross at connectmail.carleton.ca
Tue Jan 7 08:13:54 EST 2003

I'm not very familiar with "Core Python", though I have browsed through it.

I own the "Python Cookbook" and I'm very happy with it.
It fits very neatly into one part of your criteria -

>  Mostly I want
> something to which I can refer for ideas on how to do things better
> and examples of things I never knew were possible (or at least I never
> knew were simpler than they sound).

And, it does cover some Tkinter, network programming, etc. But it does not
cover these topics in depth.
Also,  it is available for free online. Personally, I prefer to read from a
book which is why I bought a copy.
But the same material, plus new submissions are available at
     aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/
in case your interested.

For greater coverage of Tkinter, network programming, etc., I'd recommend
     "Programming Python, 2nd Ed.", by Mark Lutz.
It's a bit dated now, but it's still got a lot of code on a lot of subjects.
Unfortunately, it is pretty expensive so, if money is an issue, this may be
a problem.

Oh, and for Tkinter in particular, I'd recommend "Python and Tkinter", by
John E. Grayson.
But, again, you've only got so much money...

So, in a nutshell (which should be out soon I hope,  ;)  ),
I'd say if you have the money get "Programming Python, 2nd Ed." otherwise
get "Python Cookbook".
The only thing I can say about "Core Python" is it did not convince me to
purchase it.

OK, good luck and have fun,
Sean

news:f774ba3f.0301062029.721ede80 at posting.google.com...