php vs python

maney at pobox.com maney at pobox.com
Fri Jan 3 21:52:50 EST 2003

Joe <soulchaos at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have been programming php for some years now and just recently heard about
> python used for web programming.
>
> What can Phyton do for me that php cant't?

If you find that you're writing one <script language="php">, a mess of
code, and finally </script> at the end, and wishing for a more
expressive language for what has become a CGI with small tufts of
static text hiding in its print statements, then Python has a lot to
offer.  If you're perfectly happy with PHP and your applications all
fit its intended style - generally small snippets of script embedded in
what is, mostly, a ststic web page - then there would seem to be little
reason to expect any advantage.  In between those points, well, I don't
have a simple answer on tap.

Me, I fell into that first category.  Last summer I rewrote the web app
in Python.  Now my main problem is that it's still a stolen-time
project, and there's been little time in the labs this fall that even a
time thief with a crowbar could pry loose.  :-/