Sound programming: Tone production in Python?

Jacob Smullyan smulloni at
Thu Jan 23 17:28:59 CET 2003

In article <mailman.1043268167.29013.python-list at>,
Joseph Blaylock wrote:
> So: can anybody tell me a sure-fire way to generate tones from Python?  Bonus
> points for sticking to packages that are in Debian unstable, or part of the
> basic distribution.  And further, can anybody provide me pointers to more
> generalized sound/music programming resources for Python, especially of a
> tutorial nature?

I suggest looking at software synthesis packages like csound
( and in particular these projects, in no particular

* the csound variant icsound, which has a python extension
* pythonsound (
* athenaCL (
* pysco (

Hope that helps.