Python web development, really

Afanasiy abelikov72 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 24 05:30:48 EST 2003

On 23 Jan 2003 15:57:33 -0600, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 11:16, Afanasiy wrote:
>> * Run on the same hardware I use currently
>
>Yes, so long as you can run long-running processes.  Most commercial
>shared-hosting situations don't allow this.  This applies to all Python
>frameworks except when accessed strictly through CGI, which will give
>you atrocious performance.

Webware is it's own daemon which would run behind Apache?
So..., stability depends on another daemon, one with much
less testing than Apache? Does it use lots of 3rd party
Python modules/code to provide this daemon?

>> * Be as fast or faster than Apache+PHP
>>   (I'm sorry to say Zope/Roxen are not)
>>   (This might mean it must use Apache)
>
>Probably comparable speed.  It's definitely faster than Zope.  We
>haven't encountered people who have felt limited by the speed of Webware
>(as compared to bandwidth limitations, database, etc).  But that might
>just be because people aren't using in situations where it would be a
>problem.

Hmm.

>> * Allow all errors to be caught and handled so users never see them
>>   (I currently send them to an email address)
>>   (Users are notified an error occurred and a developer contacted)
>
>Yep.

With a global handler or pasting in your
try except handling block every page?

>> * Allow similarly powerful regex capabilities
>>   (I currently use PHP's pcre module)
>
>Again, using Python's re module (IMHO much easier to use than in PHP).

Can you elaborate? I use PHP's heredoc syntax for my complex regex.

>I believe there's ways to do this with Apache while using Webware.  But
>you can (in effect) do this in Webware fairly easily.  Each page of a
>Webware application is a separate class.  Generally there will be a
>superclass that you write that is specific to your application.  In it
>you can put a header and footer, and those can be as dynamic as you
>choose.

Where does this class live? Do I have to edit .htaccess every time
I create a new page, I saw that in the mod_python documentation.
I am aware of different connectors, but mod_python looks likely.