Emacs and ELSE

Andrew McGregor andrew at indranet.co.nz
Sun Jan 5 07:22:11 EST 2003

It should say ELSE in the modeline.

The docs kind of assume you already know emacs.

Once you have the ELSE files in your load path, you need:

(require 'else-mode)
(add-hook 'python-mode-hook 'else-mode)

in your .emacs to automagically get ELSE turned on for python, and similar
add-hooks for the other languages it supports if you use those.

Then if you open a new .py file, ELSE will insert a tag like

{compilation unit}

for you at the top of the buffer.  Point at it and type C-c / e and ELSE
will expand it into the template for a python file.  If there are
alternative templates any time you type that key sequence, ELSE pops up a
menu to select them from.  Emacs can also parse the provided else.info file
for you so you can navigate the docs, and always remember that C-h m lists
the current keybindings for all active modes in the current buffer!

(if you didn't have the add-hook, you could go M-x else-mode RET to
manually start ELSE in the current buffer)

Andrew

--On Sunday, January 05, 2003 02:49:05 +0100 Dialtone