syntax for preset locals without using dummy args with defaults

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Jan 11 06:23:43 CET 2003

Bengt Richter wrote:

> Let's see how that looks:
>
>     def foo(x, y=default; z=some_expression):
>
> Not bad ;-)

If I understand correctly, you really want these additional parameters
to be what in C are local variables with static duration.  I certainly
don't object to the concept, but I really don't think that the right
place for it is in the function declaration, despite the obvious counter
(and inspiration) that some people use default parameters for just this
purpose.

/  \ Being in love for real / It ain't like a movie screen
\__/ India Arie
    Blackgirl International / http://www.blackgirl.org/
 The Internet resource for black women.