Is PY patching a problem (esp. on Windows)

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Thu Jan 16 11:11:11 EST 2003

> Just remove all your pyc files as part of the update/install process.
That is another work-around for PY <-> PYC out of date.

>You shouldn't ship pyc's anyway.
The scenario I constructed was the simplest possible update, PY files inside
a ZIP file.  In such case, I think the PYC needs to be shipped in order to
overwrite what is on the user system.

In general, yes, it is highly desirable to ship PY or PYC files, but not
both.

> I occasionally go through and wipe out all my py[co] files
I find I do it often just to reduce file clutter in my development
directories.  It would sure be nice to have a way to avoid generating them
in the first place.
--

Dennis Reinhardt

http://www.dair.com