GUI speed

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Thu Jan 9 17:19:46 EST 2003

Gerhard Häring wrote:
> Rick Richardson wrote:
>>
>> I'm currently reviewing technologies for a large, gui intensive application.
>> We're planning on having a template driven dynamic gui system, but having
>> written Java gui's in the past I'm concerned that python may share java's
>> affliction and be slower than molassses in January.
>>
>> Can anyone out there comment on the relative speed of Java's gui libs and
>> any one of the python gui libs?
>
> Sure I can. Try it out.

Ok, that reply was a /little/ short and missing a smiley.

The GUI tookits I know (wxWindows, PyQt) contain demo programs that
should show the speed of the GUI tookit quite easily.

And if you want to create an abstraction layer on top of the GUI
tookit (like "template driven GUI system" suggests), then I don't
think you can avoid doing proof of concepts for your own evaluation
anyway.

Gerhard
--
Favourite database:             http://www.postgresql.org/