How to do this in Python...

Jp Calderone exarkun at
Fri Jan 24 23:04:24 CET 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 03:08:26PM -0500, Michael Tiller wrote:
> [snip]
> I want to be clear about something.  I have no particular fondness for
> the...
> if (a=b) then ...
> "feature" in C.  I agree that *THAT SYNTAX* is confusing.

  When all you're saving is a single line of code, I can't see why it's even
worth discussing at such length.  This is so commonly desired, though, that
a while ago I wrote this...
(Un)fortunately, with recent interpreter changes, it no longer works for
code anywhere but at the top-level of a module.

I imagine a similar function could be written that worked with more recent
versions of Python, if one so desired.  I think that if you're going this
route at all, an explicit function call is better than the bizarre list-comp
based solution discussed elsewhere in the thread.

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their
                -- Ken Olson, President of DEC, World Future Society
                   Convention, 1977