Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Jan 13 02:15:13 EST 2003

Kevin Altis wrote:
> There is only one name possible, it must be called pythy.
> As in pithy

Not that it's necessarily a bad name, but *why* is that appropriate?

I immediately thought of the image of a snake biting its tail -- an ancient
symbol of the cycle of life, recursion, etc.  The name for this symbol
appears to be variously:

Uroboros
Ourobouros
Ourobourus

Not sure which spelling is "canonical".  Not so easy to pronounce though.

I also thought of doing something with "Python Squared", but it's neither
very original nor catchy.

Cheers,
Terry

--