New Python block cipher API, comments wanted

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Jan 29 08:44:46 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:18:00 -0800,
	Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
> Why is it going around circles to revise the PEP that concerns this very
> subject, fulfilling the very role for which PEPs were introduced?

Note that PEP 272 is Informational, so it carries the same weight as an
informational RFC: very little.  It means, "someone did this work and
thought it worth writing up." The DB-API is also specified as an
informational PEP, and there's no implication that a DB-API implementation
is going into the Python core.  So PEP 272 specifies a proposed interface
for block ciphers; implementors of other modules are free to follow it or
ignore it as they see fit.

--amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)
Be vewy, vewy quiet. We're hunting Wippers.
      -- Alan Moore, in "Dance of the Gull-Catchers" in FROM HELL