Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Mongryong Mongryong at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 28 20:39:26 EST 2003

Does the language really matter?  If you have a poor design, and your
team consists of hackers, it really doesn't matter what language you
use, it'll eventually end up a big mess.

You're knowledge of good software design doesn't change simply by
changing the language you use!  It's the bad programmers that give
languages with good intentions a bad name. You can find lots of examples
of Python code that is just as bad or worst than some that you can find
in other languages.

Two people can write different code to do the same thing.  Which is
better?  The code that was written the fastest or the one that took the
time to do a great design such that it is easier to maintain and extend?

Personally, if I don't have a good understanding of the problem domain
for a project I'm working on, I wouldn't want to use a language like C
or C++ the first-time around.  Python is great for this because it
allows me to understand the problem and to figure out what design
approaches will work.  As others have stated, it lets you concentrate on
the problem.  Similarly, graphic tools and RAD-IDES are great if you
know what you're doing.

In conclusion, the tools are only as good as the people who use them :)