Novel Thoughts on Scripting and Languages

Ville Vainio vvainio at tp.spt.fi
Fri Jan 10 09:10:24 EST 2003

judoscript at hotmail.com (James Huang) wrote in message news:<52719db8.0301071942.7d23cc46 at posting.google.com>...

> This is an example of scripting:
>
>   sendMail
>      from:  'me at here.com'
>        to:  'a at b.com, b at c.com'
>        cc:  'd at e.com'
>   subject:  'test test'
>    attach:  'bin.jar'
>      body:  [[*
>                 blah blah blah
>                 blah blah
>             *]]
>  htmlBody:  [[*
>             *]]

Yes, I found your example much more powerful, readable and
outrageously different from the hypothetical

import highlevelmailmodule

highlevelmailmodule.sendmail(from='me at here.com',
         to='you at there.com',
                ... etc

> I searched for a Python email example, found one at
>    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/67083
> a peek will do. I wish I had explained better with examples, but ...

The conservative approach for cratching such an itch is to implement a
higher lever library module, not to invent a new language, operating
system or processor architecure.

> I've heard big software projects done in Python, guess that's what you
> are referring to. Being a C/C++/Java guy, it is hard for me to imagine
> creating big software with weakly-typed languages beyond prototyping.

It is true that it's very easy to *imagine* creating big software with
Java. However, it's easier to actually create that software in Python.