Applications/examples of some advanced Py features, please !

Ben Wolfson wolfson at
Sat Jan 4 20:58:03 CET 2003

On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 12:46:37 -0700, Andrew Dalke <adalke at>

>1. Don't use lambda.
>It's good for a few things, but in many cases you should use a
>list comprehension.  For an example, has
>      plist = map(lambda x: x.strip(), line.split(';'))
>as a list comprehension this is more more clearly written as
>      plist = [x.strip() for x in line.split(';')]

I think this is even more clear written as

    plist = map(str.strip, line.split(';'))

You're going to set me up as a kind of slovenly attached pig that
Jack Kornfeld can slice down in his violent zen compassion?
 -- Larry Block