Novel Thoughts on Scripting and Languages

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Jan 7 14:07:17 EST 2003

In article <52719db8.0301062130.5299a0ff at posting.google.com>, James Huang wrote:

> Perl and Python programmers are all material witnesses
> of how scripting can greatly improve productivity. That's
> why scripting languages enjoy great success. Scripting
> means that we can issue OS commends from within a
> full-fledged programming language -- a scripting language.

If that's your definiton, all programming languages of which
I'm aware are "scripting languages".  At least under Linux,
issuing "OS commands"  is a standard library function accessible
to all languages.  C and assembly language can both use the
exact same system() or exec calls that Python and Perl do.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Have my two-tone,
                                  at               1958 Nash METRO brought