fast way of turning a list of integers<256 into a string

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Tue Jan 14 04:02:09 EST 2003

Well, if we all get an entry free, here's my primary entry...

 >>> d = "".join( map(str,myints) )

Would be my entry for small arrays, it's straightforward and
idio(t)matic :) .

 >>> struct.pack( ">"*len(myints), *myints )

is slightly faster than the "".join version for 100,000 items on my
machine (there's fewer individually-managed objects created), but it's
less idiomatic IMO, so I won't put it in as my entry ;) .  If there are
large arrays involved you should obviously import Numeric and do it
right :) .

Enjoy,
Mike

Peter Abel wrote: