isinstance is broken

Michael Hudson mwh at
Mon Jan 20 12:32:20 CET 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
> > I think not, because a type is always an object.
> >
> > isinstance(c, object) == issubclass(type(c), object) == True.
> >                       ^
> >            except for old-style instances
> Why would an explicit equality comparison to True (or False) ever be
> useful?

What?  I was making a point about why isinstance(<anything>, object)
is true, not suggesting code that anyone would write.

feeling-I've-missed-your-point-ly y'rs,

  Well, yes.  I don't think I'd put something like "penchant for anal
  play" and "able to wield a buttplug" in a CV unless it was relevant
  to the gig being applied for...
                                 -- Matt McLeod, alt.sysadmin.recovery