Coding standard: Prefixing variables to indicate datatype

Daniel Dittmar daniel at dittmar.net
Sat Jan 18 11:33:39 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>

>>Once you actually think about it, its obvious that attaching the join
>>method to the joiner is the only sensible place to put it.
>>
>>"Carpenter, exercise your ability to joins these pieces of wood."
>

> Agreed.  It may look weird at first, but it doesn't take long to realize
> as a method, that's the only place it can logically go.  After all, the
> alternative is having a join method be part of _every single sequence
> interface_, which is clearly heavy-handed.

Now that there are class methods, there's no longer the need to force
this into a instance method call. str.join (somelist [, joinstring])
does the job just fine.

But perhaps someone is already working on string comprehension.

 > I personally find ','.join(S) extremely inuitive

inuit-ive: you mean like eskimo speak? (sorry, couldn't resist the cheap
shot).

Daniel