Tkinter keybindings

Jeff Epler jepler at
Thu Jan 9 01:45:56 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 05:25:39PM +0000, Antonio Cuni wrote:
> I knew the effect of ctrl-tab, but it's not what I want: the user of my
> app wouldn't appreciate the asymettry between entries and text - ideally
> I have to make them undistinguable. Isn't there a way to override the
> tab-binding for Text?

The exact binding for <Tab> is written in Tcl and varies between releases
of Tk.

The correct way to expose the binding for <Tab> on the "all" widget tag is

t = Tkinter.Tk()
t.bind_class("Text", "<Tab>", "# Nothing")

You'll find more information on bindings in Tk's own manpages.  These two
manpages are especially relevant:
though these may not correspond to your version of Tcl/Tk.  You may already
have a copy of the manual installed, depending on your OS and how you
installed the Tcl/Tk packages.