Truth in dating (was: HELP! Must choose language!)

Nick Vargish nav at adams.patriot.net
Tue Jan 7 09:00:24 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:

> Even taken at face value, that jokingly-phrased question really does
> just about sum it up.

I meant it as a "ha ha, only serious" kind of comment.

Back when OO was becoming trendy, I went and learned Smalltalk to get
an idea of what all the fuss was about. Beautiful and elegant in
almost every way (except notationally), I was very taken by the
concept.

At the time OO was being introduced to Perl, I was making my living
doing brutal things to corporate data with Perl and quite enjoying
it. The OO stuff made me lose any interest I had in going further with
Perl; in my opinion, it should have stayed a uber-sripting language,
and left complex and/or large-scale development to other languages.

>  It is a grotesque and painfully transparent hack.

I think "hack" gives it too much credit. How about "kludge"? I have an
enormous amount of respect for lwall, but this is one area where he
did nobody any favors...

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* SigMask 0.3 (sig.c) 19990429 PUBLIC DOMAIN "Compile Me" */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(*v-1)&&main(0,v+ /* Tweaks welcomed. */