Warning! Newbie issue - Impersonating a user on Win32

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Thu Jan 16 01:29:50 EST 2003

"Doug Glenn" <dglenn at charter.net> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I have run into a roadblock and I cannot figure it out :(
* * *
> Exception: pywintypes.api_error (1314, 'LogonUser', 'A
> required privilege is not held by the client.').

My experience with win2k is that no one that I have talked to has ever
gotten this to work correctly.  I spent a fair amount of time in VB and VC
newsgroups searching for a fix and never found one that worked.  I also
iterated with Mark H., but he was busy at the time and could not provide a
fix.  I have not, however, tried this on either XP or NT, so I don't know if
it is a 2k issue or a win32 issue.  Most people seemed to think it was
matter of setting the proper permissions and then calling the functions
correctly.

I do remember seeing some posts claiming that MS's own su.exe which relied
on this api was buggy, but i cannot attest to the verasity of these
comments.

If you do find a fix, please post it as I for one would be very excited.  I
have a portion of a program (that is supposed to self registed its COM
objects to make upgrades easier) that is sitting idle in wait for a fix.

-doug