newbie installation problems

jodocus johocus at zonnet.nl
Sun Jan 12 13:04:21 EST 2003

hi,

i am relatively new to python programming. Writing programs using standard
modules went very smooth for me and I am very enthousiastic about the
language (even more than I was about Perl when i learned that).

Today, I have been trying to install some extra packages (pygame and some
others) on my SuSE 7.3 installation (Python version 2.1.1) from the source
tarball. But when i run "python setup.py install", i get the following
error (with all of the packages i tried):

src/pygame.h:57: Python.h: No such file or directory

(of course, this error occurs in other files for other packages).

I checked, and there is no file named Python.h anywhere on my system. Is
there some component I should have installed?

thanks in advance for any help,

R.