Books for newbies

Laura Creighton lac at
Fri Jan 24 01:24:57 CET 2003

> My first post! (Everyone, now, "noob!")

> Anyhow, I just first started to dig into Python yesterday and I must
> say I'm quite impressed. I like it's easy learning curve, however, I've
> now exhausted my newbie tutorials and I'm ready to start investing to
> go further in Python. I was wondering what are some recommended books
> are. I'm looking for books that assume general programming knowledge
> (OOP, classes, basic concepts, etc) and cover everything from the
> basics to more advanced topics. has 24 book reviews by Ron Stephens.
I'm fond of David Beazley's The Essential Python Reference 2nd edition.

> I was unable to find a way to search the list archives from
>, so I'm sorry if
> this is one of the most common posts.

The best way to do this is via google groups.   Keep this as a bookmark:

> I'm also curious as to where some good repositories of example code and
> re-useable methods/procedures/whatever are.

here is one place.
here is another.

Remember to check the standard library before you look for something
someplace else, because there is a lot that is already included ...

> TIA,
> Tyson
> --
> Tyson Tate, Editor