isinstance is broken

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sat Jan 18 13:20:28 EST 2003

mis6 at pitt.edu (Michele Simionato) writes:

> There are inconsistencies in "isinstance".
>
> Example 1:

> 1
>
> gives no error message. I don't like it, an error should be
> raised.

Heck, no.  'int' is an instance of 'type'; 'type' is a subclass of
object.

> There is issubclass for that job:

> 1

Asking a different question.

            [object]
             /    \
  (subclass)/      \(subclass)
           /        \
          /          \
       [int]=======[type]
           (instance)

> Example 2

> 1
>
> It is clear that c is *not* an instance of class object:

Yes it is: c is of type instance; instance is a subtype of object.

->> type(c)
<type 'instance'>
->> type(c).__bases__
(<type 'object'>,)

Here type(c) != c.__class__, one of the awkwardnesses that the
type/class unification removes.

> for example it doesn't have the __new__ attribute:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> AttributeError: C instance has no attribute '__new__'

However:

->> type(c).__new__
<built-in method __new__ of type object at 0x80f2380>

Objects/classobject.c:instance_getattr looks in c.__class__.

This function isn't much use, it seems.

> Moreover, on a related note:

> 1
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> AttributeError: __new__
>
> but regular expression objects are *not* instances of object (this is
> also documented).

This is more or less the same as before.

> I wonder if there is a plan to make regular expression
> objects regular objects in the near future

Not aware of any.

> For the moment, of course I can use
>
> class RE(object):
>   def __init__(self,regexp):
>       reobj=re.compile(regexp)
>       for attr in dir(reobj):
>           setattr(self,attr,getattr(reobj,attr))
>
> REobj=RE('x')
> REobj.__new__
> <built-in method __new__ of type object at 0x80e6280>
>
> Should I interpret the fact that isinstance(something,object) always returns
> true as a bug or is it intentional ?

Unavoidable would be my word.

Cheers,
M.

--
  ARTHUR:  Yes.  It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing
           cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door