Advice Needed re: MS-DOS/Win 98 as Python environment

Létezõ letezo at fw.hu
Fri Jan 24 20:43:17 EST 2003

Hi!

> I generally run my python programs from a DOS window under Win 98.  Is
> there a better way?  (yeah, I know, use linux, but I feel I'm too old to
> relearn so much)

It's ok, if you don't want to use Linux. If you install ActiveState Python
2.2.2 ( installer can be downloaded from www.activestate.com ), the .py
extension will be associated with python programs, so you can start them by
simply double clicking on them in an explorer window. This is the best way,
if you don't want to inspect the output of the script directly after it's
execution finishes (the window closes and you don't have time to view it's
contents).

> When I open MS-DOS the initial directory is Windows.  I can't figure out
> how to make this come up as Python22.  I know about autoexec.bat, I used
> to use it a lot, but I don't know where MS-DOS under Win 98 looks for
> the autoexec batch file to execute.  Can anyone please tell me?

You can create a command.com starts in C:\Python22: Create a shorcut to
c:\command.com (or c:\windows\command.com, I don't remember), then view the
shortcut's properties by right clicking on it and selecting Properties from
the popup menu. Select the Shortcut tab (theoretically this is selected as
default) and set the Start in field to: C:\Python22

Now you can create a command prompt in C:\Python22 by double clicking on
this shortcut.

Best wishes:
Complex