When do you need path config files (.pth)?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 8 08:41:42 EST 2003

> It's not so much that I object to making any changes, just that I don't
> understand why it should work on one system and not on the other.  I figure
> there must be something else missing, or perhaps environment settings.

It depends on where the pub directory has been installed. If it was
installed as an immediate subdirectory of site-packages or site-python,
no further configuration is needed. If it was installed elsewhere, a
.pth file should be created in site-packages that lists a single line
mentioning elsewhere.

Of course, the user could overcome the missing .pth file by setting
PYTHONPATH, but the rationale for creating .pth files is that not every
user of a system needs to set PYTHONPATH.

HTH,
Martin