Feeding commands to a remote python program versus using CORBA

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Jan 15 17:38:05 EST 2003

morden <morden at shadows.net> writes:

> I need to ditch ILU in a portion of our system (it's buggy). I'm
> torn between replacing ILU with something like OmniORB and embedding
> a python interpreter into the server (written in C++ unfortunately)
> and have it invoked in a fashion similar to that of telnetd. Corba
> seems like an overkill but making function wrappers for what are
> corba method implementations on server seems like more more.

> It's just a simple client->server subsystem, no fancy replication and
> distribution stuff.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

My experiments - see <URL: http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/scripting/ >
show that CORBA is lighter weight than a Python interpreter. Wrapping
the objects and methods up to export to the two is about the
same. Going with CORBA gives you the advantage that you can use
whatever your favorite language is on the client side, even if that
isn't Python.

        <mike