Hacking Heaven - Leo+XEmacs Integrated

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 28 19:40:43 EST 2003

> I tried.  So far it's in the category of "maybe a great idea
> but not yet at the state for me."

In trying to figure it out, I noticed that if I click on the
glyph to the left of the "NewHeadline" the item "NewHeadline"
is labeled.  I then tried to do something with that glyph.
Nope.  So I figured there wasn't any context menu for it.
Tried a few times too, until one time I slipped.

Turns out the text "NewHeadline" has a context menu but
not the glyph.  Does this difference have some semantic
meaning or is it a programming omission?

It's all very vague since I'm is accustomed to 1-D and
2-D editors.  (And some 3D chemical editors, but that's
not relevant.)

Though I'm leaning to the "haven't done usability studies"
part of the spectrum.

For example, the mouse glyph transitions for the upper
left window (with the "NewHeadline" item) is inconsistent.
When I start up, the mouse is pointing to the upper left,
like this

   |\
   | \
    \\

When over the "NewHeadline" text, it switched to a
text I-bar, which implies that it it writeable, with a change
of focus.  However, click once on the text and I get focus to
that pane, then click again to get text editing.  This may
be a Tk-ism, but it definitely is unexpected.
                                   __
Now click and release on the " --[__] " glyph to the left
of the "NewHeadline".  The mouse changes state from an
upper-left pointing shape to an upper right pointing one,
like this

     /|
    / |
    //

I don't know why it changes state.  Does it mean something?
I cannot get it to return to an upper-left pointing arrow,
so I appear to be in some alternate mode.

I have also been able to get the mouse pointer to be
in a left-pointing hand figure, but I have no reproducible
for that.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com