Syntax checking python...

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Fri Jan 31 17:36:39 EST 2003

Afanasiy wrote:

> In other languages, I can receive syntax errors without the script having
> to execute. Please do not let this hurt your feelings. I merely bring up
> the other languages as an example of what I mean and what I am used to.
>
> In Python, I will not receive a syntax error until the interpreter runs
> right into it. This is not very efficient for me during my development.
>
> Is there a way I can be notified of my typos without having to run the
> interpreter up to those mistakes? That is my question. No smartasses.

There really isn't much difference regarding SyntaxErrors between
most languages:  you have to process your source code with some
program (usually a compiler) and then you get any complaints.
Well, in python this is 'python' itself.   If you want a more convenient
tool then you can easily write some lines of code to have that.
There is a 'parser' module among others stuff that you can
use for this.

hope that helps,

    holger