Finding all files for embedded distribution

Howard Lightstone howard at eegsoftware.com
Sun Jan 5 14:24:29 EST 2003

Yet another embedding question.......

I have embedded Python (and Tkinter, Pmw, Blt, Pycdx,...) in an application
which I want to build a "distribution" for.  Of course, my application
starts with a C++ main module and not a Python script.  Both Installer and
Py2exe start from python scripts so .... how would I go about figuring out
all the python library scripts needed to run?

For debugging, I do have a Python-only startup script which runs just the
GUI part of things (and not the real-time portions).  I don't mind having
to set up my own "paths" for things but I am somewhat baffled in finding
out all the nested imports.  Just in my own scripts (about 45 files), I
have lots of imports.

I suppose it would be possible to just copy the whole Python library to the
distribution CD but that seems like overkill.

Should I be patching something from py2exe or Importer to report imports
(and where would I start)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (since I left this to the last
thing/minute, as usual).

Howard