Multiple dispatch again

yaipa h. yaipa at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 2 12:48:17 EST 2003

David,

First let me thank you for all your great articles and your
on-line book in progress.

I am currently writing a multi-disk sector editor for
use with Storage devices such as digital film cards. These
devices are Flash Memory based and require complex business
logic to move data around because jpg files tend to be smaller
than erase blocks and people tend to erase files one at a time.
Because erase cycles in flash tend to be slow, files not to
be deleted are mapped to other sectors before the sector is
erased.  This all leads to why it is interesting to read/write
the same data to multiple drives and then have a sector editor
that can work with multiple drives referencing the same physical
sector for each device ( think map() et. al. ). Drives are slow
in respect to CPU time and therefor, if one is working with a
'bunch' of devices at the same time I believe your Multiple Dispatch
logic will be of some help.  As the project progresses I will
incorporate your code and report back my findings to this thread,
although it maybe a month or two before I do so.

Thanks again,

yaipa.h