Generate variables at run time?

Byron Morgan lazypointer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 23:45:45 EST 2003

Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

I have been using REXX for years for all my scripting needs. In REXX, I can
use any string as a variable with no special handling.

Here is the project:

A server supplies an alphanumeric data stream over an internet socket. The
data is output from a train control system. Trains constantly enter and
leave the controlled territory, and each has a unique ID. I want to use a
class named  "train", and name each new instance based on this ID. For
example, train 123 will cause creation of  T123=train(). While the train is
in the system, it will be frequently updated based on new data, then it will
be destroyed when the train leaves the system.

for the curious:
In REXX, for a similar situation, I use a stem "train", then add the train
number, then add each attribute as events are reported.
train. = 0
train.123 = 1 (value represents the number of cars in train)
train.123.stat = 1 (0 if stopped, 1 if moving)
train.123.doors = 1 (1 if closed, 0 if open)

etc.

Judging by the excellent advice I got from one question, I think I'm gonna
like this Python, Monty!

Byron Morgan

news:avi7k2$g5tob$1 at ID-89047.news.dfncis.de...