Novel Thoughts on Scripting and Languages

James Kew james.kew at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 10 16:25:58 EST 2003

James Huang wrote:
> JudoScript is intended to be
> "scripting and shell for Java", and the assumption is Java will have
> software for most, if not *all*, of our needs.

It's probably this assumption which is causing you to have a rough ride
here.

It's reasonable to assume that many posters here consider that Python meets
their needs better than Java. In particular, Python scratches both
"scripting" and "programming" itches with a single, consistent, clear, and
pleasing syntax.

You now want to herd these contented developers into *two* languages to
solve their problems: Java plus JudoScript. The first may well be a language
they've already considered and rejected; the second is unknown and new. I'm
not surprised you're experiencing some resistance.

To be brutally honest, too, were I considering a shift from Python, I'd be
wary of committing heavily to a language which at the moment seems to be a
one-man-band effort.

--
James Kew
james.kew at btinternet.com