Best Python Editor (under Linux)

Robin Munn rmunn at
Thu Jan 2 17:51:46 CET 2003

Johan <johan at> wrote:
> Hi,
> Anyone know some good Python editors under Linux?
> With good color highlightning... :)
> I prefer free editors (have seen WingIDE but it isnt free :(...).
> I hope someone know where i can find some editors :)
> Looking forward to your replies... :)
> Regards,
> Johan

My personal preference is for Vim ( It's standard
Unix vi with all the features (like color highlighting, text folding,
etc.) that you might want in a programmer's editor. If vi isn't your cup
of tea, you won't like Vim. But if, like me, you've grown used to the
flexibility of vi's modal keybindings, you'll love it. To give you an
idea, I am actually twice as productive, roughly, in Vim as in another
editor. This is only a subjective measure, but there you go.

Robin Munn <rmunn at>
PGP key ID: 0x6AFB6838    50FF 2478 CFFB 081A 8338  54F7 845D ACFD 6AFB 6838