Python vs .Net

Will Ganz wganz at texoma.net
Mon Jan 6 19:21:24 EST 2003

:> I would like to compare Python with .Net.

This shouldn't really be titled 'Python vs. Net' but 'Python and .Net' or
'Python with .Net'.

IMHO, there is no simple apples to apples comparison that can be made here
because '.Net' is a framework for many different coding languages. While
languages(like Python) would run on top of this and use this framework.
Albeit, in a Microsoft only world(or until they felt like releasing a *NIX
framework.) My copy of 'Programming Microsoft Visual Basic .NET' is at the
office but I can,if you wish, give you a quote that Microsoft is prepared to
release a .Net framework for whatever platform is threatening them. How much
of that is FUD, I cannot say for sure; but John Dvorak said it best when,
'You know that Microsoft is serious about a platform when they release a
version of BASIC for it.'

"The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime and
the .NET Framework class library."
l/cpovrintroductiontonetframeworksdk.asp

Please check this link for VisualPython:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Visual_Python/

HTH