python compiler (psyco)

Andrew McGregor andrew at indranet.co.nz
Sat Jan 18 17:04:41 EST 2003

He's right, you know, you probably don't need it.

Python is usually used as an interpreter.  Psyco is indeed a JIT compiler,
which means it compiles 'just in time' as the code is executed.  You don't
need it to learn to program in python, and it will most likely confuse you
(like, sometimes debugging psyco-ised code is hard because the diagnostics
don't correspond to the code you wrote).  It's an advanced and experimental
thing that is mostly useful if you have python code that is much, much too
slow *and* will benefit from psyco, which is by no means all code.

Generally, psyco makes simple programs use heaps more memory, be harder to
debug and run slightly slower.  Sometimes it makes big, complex programs
run much faster.  Best only to use it if you have a really big program that
you know works stably, has a full test suite so you know if psyco breaks
something, and is too slow.

Andrew

--On Saturday, January 18, 2003 19:53:26 +0000 CIouded 0ne