PEP 8 and properties

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) me at privacy.net
Sun Jan 26 19:40:33 EST 2003

Ian Bicking wrote:

 > On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 20:41, John Roth wrote:
 >
 > I feel like there's other cases I haven't come up with, where the rules
 > I've decided on so far don't apply, or they do but I disagree with them
 > for that case.

One case I'm particularly interested in is things like the
position and size of a widget in a GUI. This is something
I'll be thinking about when I get back to my Python GUI
project. Currently I'm using accessor methods for these,
and I'll have to decide whether to switch over to using
properties.

What do people think about these? Changing them has some
pretty obvious side effects, yet it still seems easy to
see them as attributes that can be examined and changed.
Are they side-effectish enough that they shouldn't
be properties?

Greg