December 2002 comp.lang.* stats

Aaron K. Johnson akjmicro at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 25 10:46:28 EST 2003

In message <3E323B85.9DF6D032 at alcyone.com>, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> "Aaron K. Johnson" wrote:
>
> > What you see below are pure and simple the number of unique posters to
> > each
> > comp.lang.whatever hierarchy in December 2002.
>
> So they're to the whole hierarchy?  Several of these groups have large
> hierarchies, some don't; some of those subgroups are moderated.  Does
> this take into account crossposts within hierarchies, or across them?
> How about spam?  Right there those factors are going to tweak the
> numbers in favor of hierarchies with more groups rather than less, even
> setting aside whether or not more groups would encourage more posts, or
> whether or not those languages are more popular and thus have more
> subgroups in the first place.

Yes, all of the hierarchy is included. Thus an individual named 'Joe Blow' will
NOT be counted twice for posting to 'comp.lang.java.programmer' and
'comp.lang.java.cocaine-addict'. So I think the 'popularity' aspect is not a
problem there....

Spam....hmmm.....don't know what kind of mechanism I could set up that would
filter that easily, or without me blowing the script size to larger than I
would want it to be....if you want to take over, I'd pass you the code!

Best,
Aaron.