Best Python Editor (under Linux)

Erik Max Francis max at
Fri Jan 3 11:49:31 CET 2003

Paddy wrote:

> Others are comfortable with emacs, another non-simple editor that
> repays the initial
> steeper learning curve by giving a rich environment. ( I hope I've
> succeeded in mentioning
> emacs without playing it down - I don't want to continue that war :-).

I also don't want to get into a vi vs. emacs war, but how does emacs
have a steeper learning curve, at least for just basic text editing
usage (creating files, opening files, editing files, saving files,
quitting)?  On the contrary, I think to a total neophyte vi is a lot
more intimidating:  You can't even start entering text unless you enter
a code first.  Modern graphical versions of emacs start you in a scratch
space and have menu bars that all you to open files, close files, exit
the editor, etc.

I obviously prefer emacs (I know just enough vi to be able to edit
configuration files on systems that for one reason or another don't have
emacs available), so I won't pretend I don't have a bias, but of all the
differences between vi and emacs, emacs having a steeper learning curve
doesn't seem right to me.  (It does have many, many more features than
vi, but you only need to learn the ones you plan to use.)

 Erik Max Francis / max at /
/  \ Then conquer we must, for our cause is just ...
\__/ Francis Scott Key
    Fauxident /
 A "faux" ident daemon in Python.