copy-on-write for dict objects?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jan 15 14:01:50 EST 2003

Matthias Oberlaender <matthias.oberlaender at REMOVE.daimlerchrysler.com> writes:

> Is there an easy way in Python 2.2.1 to add a copy-on-write mechanism to
> subclasses of dict, i.e. without extending/modifying the C-code
> implementation?  (I guess there is none!)

Not sure what you mean.  But I doubt it.  You need a level of
indirection in there, so I don't see how you could do it directly even
hacking C.

> I don't want to resort to UserDict again, since, at least for my
> purposes, it's much slower than direct subclasses of dict (around
> 10x)

I know that feeling.

Cheers,
M.

--
 "Well, the old ones go Mmmmmbbbbzzzzttteeeeeep as they start up and
  the new ones go whupwhupwhupwhooopwhooooopwhooooooommmmmmmmmm."