spambayes rocks

Brett g Porter BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com
Thu Jan 30 11:20:08 EST 2003

"Jarek Zgoda" <jzgoda at usun.gazeta.pl> wrote in message
news:slrn.pl.b3gfvm.go.jzgoda at kotek.home...
> Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> pisze:
>
> >    Donn> Or maybe he literally meant efficient.  The efficient place to
> >    Donn> stop the flow is not at the destination.
> >
> > For that to happen, you will need the cooperation of the involved
foreign
> > ISPs, largely in Asia and Brazil, I think.
>
> That's why I use DNS-based blacklists. See http://korea.services.net to
> get an idea on how it works.

Of course, DNS-based blacklists shoot an elephant gun at the problem, and
it's just too bad if you happen to innocently be using an ISP who gets
flagged as a source of spam. Every few months this happens to us, and after
we see messages being bounced, we call the ISP, and they boot the spammer,
and eventually the domain gets removed from the blacklist, but by that time
we've lost a few days of business email.

Blocking all mail (even legitimate) from South Korea  solves one problem,
but creates another -- if my ISP happens to subscribe to this blacklist
service, there's absolutely no way for me to receive email from my family
living there.