Binary search

Bengt Richter bokr at
Thu Jan 16 14:21:24 CET 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:28:18 -0500, Peter Hansen <peter at> wrote:

>"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> Bengt Richter wrote:
>> > I misunderstood the same way ;-) The title "Binary search" didn't primarily
>> > suggest binary data to me.
>> In German, "Binärsuche" would suggest binary data, whereas "binäre
>> Suche" would suggest binary search. Both seem to translate naturally to
>> "binary search". I guess in Flemish, the problem is similar, hence the
>> misunderstanding.
>In any case, the OP fairly clearly indicated that he understood
>what the term "binary search" usually meant, and that he did not
>in fact mean that meaning...
(Continuing with nits ;-)
I'm sure the OP understood the distinctions, and in later posts
explicitly indicated what he meant, but my first impression was from

I'm looking for a function that allows me to do a binary search in a file.
Can anyone point me in the good direction?

Thanks in advacne,

I.e., it said "a binary search in a file" not "a search in a binary file".

Bengt Richter